Tuesday, 10 June 2014

An electrician in Melbourne can prevent homeowners from starting electrical fires

Electrical fires can be prevented with the help of an electrician in Melbourne. As a homeowner, it’s important you are aware of the five most common causes of electrical fires, so you can avoid them. The first most common cause of electrical fires is faulty electrical outlets and out-dated appliances. It’s vital homeowners inspect the condition of their appliance for frayed cords. A frayed cored could send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtain and rugs, resulting in a fire. For safety, cords should always be kept away from rugs and curtains.

If you have an old house, it’s important to keep on top of your electrical outlets. Hiring an electrician in Melbourne to inspect your electrical outlets is a great idea. They look out for faulty wires and outlets that need to be replaced, preventing the risk of fires. For houses that are over 20 years old, normally the wiring cannot handle the increase amount of appliances it has to power.

Light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs are another common cause for electrical fires. Some homeowners make the mistake of installing a bulb that has a wattage that is too high for the lamp. Homeowners should always check the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture to avoid electrical fires. Another tip is ensuring cloth and paper are never placed on a lampshade. These materials have the potential to heat up and start a fire.

Misuse of extension cords can also lead to electrical fires. Appliances should be plugged directly into an outlet and not plugged into an extension cord for long periods of time. Extension cords should only be used as a temporary measure. If a house does not have enough outlets for the appliances, homeowners should call an electrician to install new ones.

Portable heaters can also cause electrical fires. Homeowners need to be careful where they place their portable heaters. Most of the time, the heaters are placed too close to flammable curtains, beds, clothing and furniture. An electrician will advise that homeowners should use a radiator-type portable heater. These portable heaters are less likely to ignite flammable items.

Homeowners should hire an electrician in Melbourne to inspect their electrical wiring. Call Fuse Electrical on 1300 221 223.

No comments:

Post a Comment